NDI provides technology services to our democracy programs and political partners around the world, and support to our employees and field offices in 60 countries. The Chief Information Officer (CIO) provides leadership, directs technology strategy and is responsible for overall management of all technology support and programs. The CIO also is responsible for establishing strategic partnerships, identifying opportunities to secure program funding and leading the institute’s information security efforts. NDI is a global organization running production business systems and regularly conducting program activities abroad during non-US business hours, thus this job requires the team leader to be accessible at any time as needed (including evenings and weekends).
- Provide technology leadership for the organization, internally and externally
- Develop and implement NDI technology strategy
- Oversee the management of the technology team, including the democracy and technology programs group and the infrastructure, software development, DevOps, and tech services (service desk support and training) teams.
- Ensure NDI remains a leader and innovator in the democracy and technology field by coordinating with NDI program teams and our partners worldwide to enhance program activities in the field with appropriate ideas and technologies.
- Assures availability, integrity and confidentiality of NDI systems, data, and proprietary information through innovative information security and access management programs.
- Manage and advocate for the NDI technology budget.
- Lead NDI’s internal technology committees and initiatives.
- Spearhead initiatives that leverage technology to strengthen NDI business operations, streamline business processes, automate procedures.
- Set and enforce NDI technology policies and procedures.
- Liaise with colleagues, executives and the board of directors in order to keep them abreast of internal and external information management initiatives, challenges and innovations, incorporate their feedback as needed.
- Establish strategic partnerships that advance NDI’s mission and technology strategy.
- Communicate the importance of NDI’s mission and technology programs to key external communities such as policy leaders, funders and partners. Maintain a strong external professional network.
- Secure NDI program funding through technology initiatives, partnerships, and program strategy.
- Manage staff and consultants on the internal technology support and ICT/democracy and technology program teams to ensure the adequate allocation of human resources to administrative and program functions.
Education and Experience
- Relevant bachelor's degree or equivalent required, advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum twenty (20) years of relevant experience, a minimum of 15 years in management and 5 years in leadership roles.
- International professional or personal experience required.
- Experience with technology for international development (ICT4D) or political technology strongly preferred.
- Excellent English language communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Expertise in technology and technical concepts required, strong technical skills preferred. Examples of technologies include open source technologies, LAMP, AWS and other cloud, Google for Work, Google Apps, Drupal, Docker, Microsoft networks, Cisco, various security technologies and products, Android mobile platform.
- Strong project management experience, PMP or related certification a plus.
- Experience with organizational change management, business process automation, IT governance and management preferred. COBIT experience or certification a plus.
- Experience with information security policy, risk management and governance preferred.
- Experience with a range of information and network security threats, technologies, concepts and products preferred. Security certifications a plus, experience with SANS critical security controls a plus.
- Possesses good understanding in the areas of application programming, database and system design, agile software development and DevOps. Scrum or related certifications a plus.
- Experience managing a technology services team, ITIL experience and/or certification a plus.
- Technology budgeting experience required.
- Good understanding of networking, cloud computing, web applications and enterprise system architecture.
- Experience leading technical managers and staff
- Technical and management certifications are a plus.
- Multilingual skills are a plus.
Applicants must have US work authorization to be eligible for this position.
To apply for this position, please visit NDI's website at www.ndi.org/careers.