NDI seeks a resident director (chief of party) to implement a four-year, multi-million dollar USAID technical assistance program to improve political competition and government accountability in Cambodia. The program works to strengthen democratic systems and increase the participation and leadership of women and youth in electoral and political processes.
Well-qualified candidates will possess extensive professional experience with field programs that promote democracy, good governance and political reform. NDI seeks candidates with strong management, training, technical leadership and communication skills, as well as a track record building collaborative relationships in complex development environments. Field experience in Cambodia or in Asia is highly desirable.
This position is contingent upon the availability of funding for NDI’s programs in Cambodia and donor approval of personnel. This position is anticipated to start in the fall of 2015.
- Oversee program design, implementation, and evaluation in relation to program goals;
- Manage/oversee local and expatriate staff structure and individual performance, evaluation, promotion/discipline;
- Coordinate with domestic and international partners in the implementation of joint programming;
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with elected officials, political leaders, government officials and civil society groups in Cambodia, as well as the US Embassy, USAID, implementing partners, and local/international non-governmental
- Ensure adherence to NDI Washington, DC and Cambodia policies and procedures, as well as to donor regulations, ensuring the integrity of all financial transactions;
- Report on program activities and political developments in Cambodia that may affect program outcomes to the Washington, DC-based staff on a regular basis; and
- Oversee the development, review and timely submission of program-related materials, including regular reports that measure and evaluate program results.
- Undergraduate degree in a field of study related to international development; graduate degree in political science, international relations, public policy, law, or related field preferred;
- A minimum of fourteen (14) years of overall experience in the promotion of democracy and good governance, and a minimum of five (5) years of this experience must be in leadership positions with field programs that promote political reform;
- Experience managing and implementing USAID-funded international development programs over $5 million;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with senior political leaders, election officials, parliamentarians, civil society organizations and members of the donor and diplomatic community;
- Exceptional interpersonal and managerial skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, U.S. and foreign government personnel, members of donor organizations, funders, and policy-makers;
- Experience in results-oriented program design, strategic planning, and program evaluation;
- Proven capacity to meet program goals while managing financial, administrative, and security responsibilities;
- Experience managing multiple sub-awards to local organizations;
- Sound political and negotiation skills, and extensive experience working on legislative and electoral issues; experience working on civil society and media capacity building is highly desirable;
- Superior oral and written communications skills to effectively present information in a clear and persuasive manner in English;
- Ability to live and work in a challenging political environment;
- Exceptional analysis skills for interpreting complex program and political issues;
- Ability to adjust programmatic activities based on changing political circumstances and in response to needs articulated by local partners and program stakeholders; and
- Working knowledge of Google-based applications such as Drive or other cloud-based online information management systems, and PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Experience in living and working overseas is highly desirable, particularly previous experience in Asia.
To apply for this position, please visit NDI's website at www.ndi.org/careers.